Japan - Genuine Damascene

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Cris

Japan - Genuine Damascene

Post by Cris »

Gidday to all,

Was researching this recent Genuine Damascene Japanese cigarette case purchase when I found this forum.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a match within the posts for the maker mark that appears on my case, but thought this group might like copies of photos I've taken so they can be added to the reference library under 'Genuine Japanese Damascene' - might be helpful to others who follow.

All the best!

(1) Genuine Japanese Damascene (front view)
Inside of original case, labelled 'Guaranteed - Genuine Damascene - Inlaid of K.24 Gold, Made in Japan'

(2) Genuine Japanese Damascene (back view)
Maker Mark(?), K24 Gold

(3) Genuine Japanese Damascene (front view)
Close up of a section of the delicate inlaid gold design

davidross
contributor

Re: Japan - Genuine Damascene

Post by davidross »

Hi Cris,

A belated welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for posting a nice piece of damascene still in its original box. This is a good reference for everyone interested in Japanese damascene. In particular, it is good to see a clear explanation of the often-seen "K24" mark indicating gold inlay.

Unfortunately, only a few major retailers have been identified. It seems that there were numerous family-run workshops that supplied pieces to shops large and small and that there are very few resources identifying makers. For what it is worth, the maker's mark on your piece, is most likely read "Yoshi."

Regards
DR
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

I have undertaken a project to document marks used on Japanese damascene work. Nunome zogan is the Japanese term used to describe the process.
Here is the link:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10243567 ... banner=pwa
I hope this proves to be useful.
Fred
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for posting the link to this useful project. Let's hope over time that marks and names can be connected.

Trev.
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Hi Trev,
Once you are into the image site and open the images up. You will see that I have begun translating the Kanji characters. I am being assisted by a Japanese gentleman. This will be a lifelong project.
Fred
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Cris,
The mark on you cigarette case if from the Kawano Yoshinosuke shop, Yokohama. My site of marks is bearing fruit.
Fred
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Fred,

Many thanks for the follow up post, and all best wishes for continued success in identifying Japanese damascene makers' marks.

David R
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Hi David,

Thanks for your encouraging support. I am in debt to several folks who are helping in the task. I solicit the help of anyone who can help us make this a viable source for information.

Fred
Cris

Post by Cris »

Dear Fred,

I'm so sorry - this is the first time I've revisited this thread since posting images of my case - and I just saw your reply post today.

It was so very thoughtful of you, and those helping you, to update this thread with the information that it would have been purchased from the;

Kawano Yoshinosuke shop, Yokohama, Japan.

This update, time spent in researching, and thoughtfulness in replying is very much appreciated - thank you, Cris.

A big thank you also to David for his timeliness in acknowledging your contribution.

Return to “Far East”