EATON, William (Grimwade pp.499, 747)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

dognose
Site Admin

EATON, William (Grimwade pp.499, 747)

Post by dognose »

EATON, William (3105-6)

Details of a trial held at the Guildhall in early October 1822, involving William Eaton (Grimwade 3105-6).

Guildhall

The sweeping of goldsmiths and jewellers' workshops, containing small particles of various valuable metals, it is the practice to collect together, and melt the metallic contents into what is technically called a skillet, which differs from what is called an ingot only in shape. This is subsequently sold to the refiners. A young man of very respectable appearance, who gave his name William Eaton, and on whose behalf a solicitor attended, was charged by Mr. Brown, of the firm of Brown and Brind, refiners, No.30, Wood Street, Cheapside, for an attempted fraud in a sale of one of these skillets.

The prisoner, he stated, had frequently brought them metal for sale. On the 28th September he came as usual with a skillet, for them to make what is termed a parting assay of it, to know its value. This was generally done by taking off a small piece from one of the corners, from the assay of which the whole mass was valued. It happened, however, in this instance, that the piece for the assay was cut out of one of the sides, and contained so trifling a portion of valuable metal, as not to be worth more than 20d. an ounce. When the prisoner called to know the result he expressed much surprise at the small value set upon the contents of the skillet, and said he understood it to be worth at least 25s. an ounce. This led to a more minute inspection of the skillet, which was found to be made up for the express purpose of deception. The interior of the mass was of little or no value; it was generally coated with metal somewhat more valuable, and at the corners from whence the part to be assayed is usually taken, pieces containing particles of gold were neatly soldered on, and had the assay been made from one of these corners, the whole skillet would have been valued at 25s. an ounce.

Messrs. Brown and Co. had been deceived in this way several times before, and they believed in metal purchased from the prisoner. They had however no part of this to produce, and in the present instance no money had been paid.

Mr. Betts, Jun. of Long-acre, produced part of a similar skillet, which had been purchased at their house from the prisoner, and for which he had received the estimated value. The money had, however, been paid not by him, but by his brother, who was at present a great distance from town.

As this transaction took place out of the city, the Alderman, even had the evidence been present, could not have taken cognizance of it. The prisoner was therefore discharged, with a recommendation from the Alderman that he should be taken directly before a Magistrate of the county. This was at first proposed to do, but as the necessary evidence against him in Mr. Bett's case could not be conveniently procured for some weeks, he was ultimately permitted to go at large.

It would appear that William Eaton was a very lucky man. He was to go on to become one of the most prolific silversmiths in the country, but I wonder how his life would have turned out had he been found guilty of this offence?

Trev.
    dognose
    Site Admin

Re: EATON, William (p.499, 747)

Post by dognose »

Some information so as to draw a line between between, father and son, William Eaton(I) and William Eaton(II).

William(I) was a bucklemaker, Free, by redemption, of the Needleworkers' Company in 1784. He entered his mark at Goldsmiths Hall on the 19th March 1781 using the address of 6, Albion Buildings, Aldersgate Street. A change of address was registered on the 22nd April 1784 as 3, Addle Street, Wood Street.

William (II) was a manufacturer of flatware, Free, by patrimony, of the Needleworkers' Company on the 9th January 1810. He was born in 1788 and had been apprenticed to his father on the 6th January 1802, and later turned over to Alexander Field. He first entered his mark at GH on the 18th May 1813, it is this entry in the register that is in a different hand than the previous entries for William Eaton. The address entered was 30, Addle Street and this was to WE(II)'s premises until the move to 16, Jewin Cresent that was recorded at GH on the 20th December 1825. On the 10th December 1828 the registers at GH record the move to 2, Lovell's Court, Paternoster Row, part of the former premises of Eley & Co., who appear to have moved their spoon making operation into the former premises of Robert Peppin (Grimwade 2413-4) at 27, Grenville Street around this period, but the Jewin Cresent premises were retained and were to form the main part of Eaton's manufactory. William Eaton died in 1856, his business was continued by his widow, Elizabeth and son, John. In 1866 the business was acquired by Henry Holland & Son, who later became Holland, Aldwinkle & Slater, who were also to absorb other famous names such as George Adam's Chawner & Co. and Robert Hennell & Sons. H,A & S were absorbed into Francis Higgins & Sons Ltd around 1922 and William Eaton's flatware dies were last heard of to be in the possession of C J Vander Ltd.

Trev.
    MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Trev

Elizabeth Eaton entered her first mark in December 1845. Death of a William Eaton is recorded in London also in December 1845 but none in 1856.
    Elizabeth appears as a widow at Jewin Crescent on the 1851 Census. She was there as a silversmith with her son John aged 19 years as an apprentice.
    William Eaton II was therefore active as a silversmith from 1813-45.

Regards
    Mike
    dognose
    Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for correcting my typo. What I was thinking of when I typed 1856, I have no idea, guess it was just a senior moment!

As you have stated, Elizabeth entered her first mark on the 3rd December 1845, further marks were entered on the 1st November 1847. On the 14th September 1858 she entered marks in partnership with her son, John. The partnership was over by the 23rd January 1864 when Elizabeth again entered her solo mark.

John Fallon notes in his 'Marks of London Goldsmiths and Silversmiths - 1837-1914' that Elizabeth's entry in 1864 ".....is very shaky indeed, indicating a lack of hand control probably due to old age."

Regards Trev.
    MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello again Trev

As far as I can tell Elizabeth Eaton was born around 1800 so Fallon's surmise concerning her ability to write being an age related problem is, on the surface, reasonable but she may also have been ill when she signed the Goldsmith's Hall document because she died very soon afterwards on 25th February 1864. She would also no doubt have been affected by the early death of her son John on 1st January 1864.

Regards
    Mike
    dognose
    Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

That's great information. I was not aware of either Elizabeth or John Eaton's date of death, and it explains much.

The next question, of course, is where Josiah Piercy, who entered his mark at GH on the 23rd April 1864 from the Jewin Cresent address, fits in to all this? Was he perhaps installed by Henry Holland to run the firm in the interim period, or was he perhaps already managing the business?

Regards Trev.
    MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Trev

Josiah Piercy described himself as a silversmith's clerk on both the 1851 & 1861 Census. He was a Londoner born around 1795 and living in Islington. The speculation that he might have had some connection with Elizabeth Eaton doesn't seem to stand up nor the speculation that the man with the same name who entered a mark in 1812 with his brother is this Piercy.

My guess is that Josiah Piercy was Henry Holland's clerk and he entered his mark to allow the Eaton factory to continue to produce spoons for a while until the business was properly integrated with Holland's. Holland's staff lists for 1851-64 would be useful!

Piercy doesn't appear on the website showing the 1871 Census.

Regards
    Mike
    buckler

EATON, William (Grimwade p. 404/5, 499 & 747)

Post by buckler »

Grimwade indicates that there were two William Eatons. William Eaton I 's son, William (II) was born 1788 and apprenticed to his father in 1802.

His first marks, in the period 1781 to 1801 were as bucklemaker and this was clearly his trade for his early years.

The Times of 4th February 1786 reports " a journeyman of William Eaton, Silver Buckle Maker in Addle Street, Wood Street was committed to Wood Street Compter”

The case is reported in the Old Bailey on 22nd February 1786 in which he states
    " I am a bucklemaker and live in Addle Street " (Old Bailey t17860222-124)

Fire Insurance Policy Register, 1777-1786 - 1786 SUN 1 337 31\8\79 ML Policy Number 517402
    gives “ William Eaton, Silver Bucklemaker, 30 Addle Street - Insured Value £ 1500”

He was a signatory to Bucklemakers Petition to the Prince of Wales in January 1792 and one of the deputation of six who presented the petition of the bucklemakers to the King.

Wakefields Merchant and Tradesmans General Directory of London, etc, 1794 gives “ “Eaton, William , Silver Buckle Maker, 30 Addle Street , Wood Street”

There are two William Eaton silversmiths' wills proved at the PCC relating to this period .

5 May 1828- Will of William Eaton [possibly (I)], late Working Silversmith, now Farmer of Edmonton , Middlesex , proved at PCC.

18 December 1845 - Will of William Eaton (II), Silversmith of Jewin Crescent , City of London, proved at PCC.
    blakstone
    contributor

Re: EATON, William (Grimwade pp.499, 747)

Post by blakstone »

Elizabeth Chandless was born 4 Oct 1796, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Ann Chandless, and baptized 18 Dec 1796, St. Mary, Newington, Surrey. She married silversmith William Eaton (II) on 31 Jul 1819, St. Mary, Newington. (He is listed as a widower on the marriage; I have not identified his first wife, but I suspect it was Jane Gribble, who married a William Eaton on 1 Jun 1811, Christ Church, Greyfriar’s, Newgate.)

Elizabeth’s brother William Chandless, born 21 May 1808 and baptized 19 Jun 1808, St. George the Martyr, Surrey, was apprenticed to her husband William Eaton in 1822 [see Grimwade, pp. 461 & 740]

William Eaton, age 58, of 16 Jewin Crescent, St. Botholph, Aldersgate, was buried on 29 Nov 1845 at All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. His will, written on 3 May 1845, was probated 15 Dec 1845. In it he states “I have for upwards of thirty years carried out the business of a silversmith at No. 16 Jewin Crescent” and leaves the bulk of his estate to his wife Elizabeth. Children mentioned are daughters Lydia (wife of Joseph Barber) and Elizabeth (wife of Alexander Frederick Taylor), unmarried daughters Jane and Anne, and sons William (age 18 on 23 Oct 1844), Thomas (age 12 on 8 Jul 1844) and John (age 11 on 2 Jul 1844), who are to succeed him in his business. Also mentioned are friends Benjamin Lawson and Francis Jonathan Roberston.

Of these and other children of William Eaton and his wife Elizabeth Chandless, parish records (all from the parish of St. Botolph, Aldersgate unless otherwise noted) show:

Lydia: born 4 May 1820; baptized 25 Jun 1820, Christ Church, City of London; married 15 Nov 1841, to Joseph Barber, hatter, son of Samuel Barber, St. Botolph

Elizabeth: born 27 Jan 1822; baptized 24 Feb 1822, Christ Church, City of London; married 24 May 1840, to Alexander Frederick Taylor, jeweller, son of Ebeneezer Taylor, jeweller [Grimwade p. 360, Goldworker’s Marks 1773-1837]

Sarah: born 15 Aug 1824; baptized 25 Dec 1824, Christ Church, City of London; buried 22 Dec 1825

William: born 23 Oct 1826; baptized 19 Nov 1826; buried 28 Feb 1848, at All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green (William Eaton, age 21, of 16 Jewin Crescent)

Thomas I: born 28 Jun 1828; baptized 27 Jul 1828; buried 8 Jan 1829

Amelia: born 12 Oct 1829; baptized 15 Nov 1829; buried 27 Jun 1830

Thomas II: born 19 Jul 1831; baptized 29 Jul 1831; buried 4 Aug 1831

Thomas III: born 8 Jul 1832; baptized 5 Aug 1832; buried 17 Jun 1848 at All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green (Thomas Eaton, age 16, of 16 Jewin Crescent)

John: born 2 Jul 1833; baptized 20 Jul 1833, St. John, Zachary (more later)

Henry: born 21 Dec 1836; baptized 22 Jan 1837; buried 6 Feb 1837

I can find no information on unmarried daughters Anne and Jane mentioned in the will.

Sons William and Thomas named in the will both died as young men, leaving only John to fulfill his father’s wishes and succeed him in his business. John was made free of the Needlemaker’s company by patrimony on 13 Aug 1856, though he was trained and worked as a silversmith.

He married 16 Sep 1858 St. James, Clerkenwell, Islington to Mary Parfitt, age 18, 61 Spencer Street, daughter of Thomas Parfitt, engraver. John died on New Year’s Day 1864 and was buried on 7 Jan 1864, All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. His will was proved 9 Feb 1864: John Eaton, 6 Maria Terrace, Albion Grove, Islington, silversmith, by his widow Mary Eaton, value under £4,000.

Elizabeth Chandless Eaton died less than two months later, on 28 Feb 1864 and was buried on 3 Mar 1864, with her husband and children, in All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. The probate of her will on 15 Dec 1864 records a value under £6000.
    dognose
    Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Recorded as a Buckle and Spoon maker of 30, Addle Street, Wood Street, Cheapside.

Source: Johnstone's London Commercial Guide - Corrected to 31st August 1817 - Andrew Johnstone - 1818
    blakstone
    contributor

Post by blakstone »

The first wife of William Eaton II was Lydia Bigley; they married on 19 Oct 1811 at All Saints, Edmonton, Middlesex. Her burial at age 32 is recorded on 29 Mar 1818 in the registers of St. Alban's, Wood Street.

Witnesses to the marriage include Martha, Caroline, Eliza and Amelia Eaton, all of whom are named as daughters of William Eaton, late silversmith now of Edmonton, Middlesex, in his 1828 will, which also names son a son William. This confirms that the William who died in 1828 was William I, whose daughters were all witnesses to their brother William II's first marriage. William Eaton I's burial at age 70 is recorded on 2 Apr 1828 in the register of All Saints, Edmonton, Middlesex.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”