Christofle Cup/Tumbler/Timbale Marked CC

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MGArgent
contributor

Christofle Cup/Tumbler/Timbale Marked CC

Post by MGArgent »

Sharing this Christofle cup with an earlier CC mark because I had imagined it would have been easy to find a comparable cup with a quick search but so far it has proven a bit more difficult than I had anticipated.

The marks indicate that the cup dates prior to the change of the Christofle mark from CC to OC in 1935 and I would guess that it is probably c1900-c1920.

It is quite heavy for its size and while I'm not certain of its original purpose (Christening cup?), it is able to contain a single malt just fine.

I am a bit perplexed as to what is causing a distinct "shadow" around the decorative elements.

MGArgent
contributor

Re: Christofle Cup/Tumbler/Timbale Marked CC

Post by MGArgent »

After exploring the darker areas a little further, the "shadow" appears to be just areas of darker patina that were left behind from a previous process where the cup had been polished and the decorations were avoided to prevent loss of the detail.

I think in this case, the solution is probably to remove the patina in all areas so that the cup has a more uniform appearance.
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

After quite some time of working at it by hand, the end result is a much improved appearance with the detail being preserved and a more uniform finish.

MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

I've been searching for similar cups over the past couple days and so far have only turned up this in an old thread

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51767

Wondering if this cup is fairly common and is just lost in a sea of Christofle search results or if it is somewhat unique.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Return to “French Silver”