Strange marks on the spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ubaranda
contributor

Strange marks on the spoon

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
I need help with attributing the marks on this spoon. What country, what age, who is maker?
I would be grateful for any opinions.

huszas76
contributor

Re: Strange marks on the spoon

Post by huszas76 »

My guess Romania.
But I can't write more.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello Krisztián!
I assumed it was Eastern Europe, but I thought it was most likely Poland. But of course it could be Romania. What time period do you think this is?
Regards. Alex.
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Middle, or 2. part of the 19. century.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: I thought it was Romanian based on the form which is similar to a Romanian spoon I have (with the double-fish symbol so that would make my spoon early 20th century) but has anyone seen these symbols before on 19th century Romanian Silver? ::::::

::::: I was thinking it might be a province of Romania, or maybe even Moldova, and in the 1850s there were some efforts made to modernize Moldova, and these stamps with Bulls Heads (with a star between the horns) were issued, so I was wondering if this "bull symbol" is some sort of official Moldova hallmark that was issued in 1860-1875 (approximately) or else it is just a coincidence that a bull appears on this silver spoon and also the Moldova stamp? ::::

:::::: There is also a horn on the stamp. Is the other symbol on the spoon a sort of "stylized horn" or what do other people think? ::::::

::::::: These stamps are extremely rare. :::::::::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: The other symbol might be a bird and it might represent Wallachia :::::

::::: From 1862-1866 Moldavia and Wallachia were unified and acting as a single political entity which replaced a former unification in 1859 called "The United Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia" so it was now the "Romanian United Principalities" and then from 1866-1881 there was a ruling Prince Carol The First who had a parliament and established a constitutional monarchy that lasted until 1881 when the parliament proclaimed "Romania is a kingdom now" so that unified the entire region. :::::

:::::: The above image is the bird symbol of Wallachia. :::::: The spoon might be from the "United Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia" political entity ::::: Note that the bull symbol on the stamp has rounded corners, and the side-profile bull hallmark on the silver spoon has rounded corners too. :::::: I do think that third symbol is a stylized bird, but maybe with the spoon in hand it could be better evaluated. ::::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::::: Apologies for writing "Moldova" when I mean to write "Moldavia" please accept my apologies :::::::::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: To the right of the bird's "wing" there seems to be a crescent moon :::: This bird with crescent moon can be seen on early coins of the region. ::::

RUSSIA. Moldavia & Wallachia. Silver Pattern 2 Para/3 Kopek, 1773. Sadagura Mint. Catherine II (the Great) (1762-96).

:::::: The above image is a Russian Provincial Coin from when The Russian Empire ruled over the region of Moldavia & Wallachia in the second half of the 18th century. :::::::::::

::::: (Unless I'm mistaken, there seems to be a crescent moon to the right of the bird's "wing" which would make the bird's head in the middle of the hallmark). ::::::::
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi Aguest!
Many thanks for very interesting and useful information!
Regards.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: These hallmarks have a lot of detail in them, they could be official hallmarks mandated by Moldavia & Wallachia, maybe there is a historical archive that could be searched as relates to silversmiths working in Romania 1860-1880 and if it was mandatory that a bull and an eagle be struck. :::::

::::: Otherwise this was just a patriotic silversmith who decided to make a Bull punch and an Eagle punch because he was showing his pride in the Unification of Moldavia and Wallachia :::::

::::: Maybe a Romanian historian would know more. ::::::
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
I found another spoon with exactly the same bull mark, but with another "strange" mark. Is this also from Moldavia and Wallachia or this spoon have a different origin?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Now a fork also has been found...

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Same region but a different silversmith from the spoon in the original post, hallmarks appear a bit more stylized as the bull and bird become more symbolic in appearance. :::::::: Someone from the National Museum Of Romania has to know more about these symbols. :::::::::::
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi Aguest!
Thank you for your reply. I will try to contact the National Museum of Romania.
Regards. Alex.

Return to “Other Countries”