What Maker was FM?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
questingmoose

What Maker was FM?

Post by questingmoose »

I have a coffeepot, teapot and creamer that bear what I believe to be maker's mark of FM, along with duty mark, city mark, and sterling mark.
Could you confirm the maker and approximate date of the teapot?

(admin photo edit - images too large - insert as link only - see Posting Requirements)

http://i48.tinypic.com/6sutr6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i47.tinypic.com/5vudmu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
buckler

Post by buckler »

I can find no F*M in Grimwade although your mark is very clear .
The assay and duty marks are not so clear and I wonder if these are actually pseudo marks from a colonial maker . Although purporting to be 1785 - 1821 period they seem slightly wrong
But I'm no good on holloware !
We need to wait till Trev gets back !
I presume the marks shown are on the bottom of the pot. Are there any others on the lid, handle or even spout ?
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The Grimwade book mentioned covers London. UK provincial offices also used the leopard head in addition to their own town mark and for completeness, in case the town mark has been missed as sometimes happened, I've checked my records of known maker's marks for all offices for the period the other marks on the pot suggest and again no trace of the F*M mark.
There should also be marks on the creamer, the other pot and lid you mention. Are all of these identical to the one shown? If not images of them could be useful.
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations, nice find. The set is by Frederick Marquand of New York and Savannah, Georgia. This particular grouping of marks is illustrated in the appendix to Cutten's "Silversmiths of Georgia" and is probably one of the most convincing sets of American pseudo-British hallmarks. Pieces would date to circa 1825.

Regards, Tom
silverly

Post by silverly »

Terrific images of a beautiful piece of silver. I am in awe of your find.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Tom,

Glad to see we were right to be concerned about these marks on this side of the pond. They really are rather convincing.
Do you happen to know if this maker ever fell foul of London Goldsmiths Hall?
Happy New Year.
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi MCB,
I've no idea whether it has happened, but it would not surprise me. British expats and foreign office types seem fond of returning from their travels with examples of the local silver. Frankly, thanks to this post:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the whole idea gives me the willies!

Happy New Year,
Tom
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Especially so, since their blindered view of history may have led them to deface an early and valuable piece of Kentucky silver (see my reply to the previous post)
questingmoose

Found similar pot

Post by questingmoose »

Gentlemen,
I found a tea set at the live auctioneer site.
The handles appear identical except that mine has ivory separators and two of the bands with gadrooning appear identical.
I cannot make out the images of the hallmarks.
Your thoughts?
Mike

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”