shakudo - japan

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Hose_dk
contributor

shakudo - japan

Post by Hose_dk »

I have learned a new word Shakudo.
When the samurai was prohibited the silver and goldsmiths of Japan lost a market. So they started looking for other markets for their skills.
Shakudo is gold and copper alloy - dark blue in color - close to black.
This cigaret etui is most likely mad in this teknique. With inlaid in gold - trees and house. And silver the Torii gate, mount fuli, and the birds.
Bought by accident - but now much wiser :-)

The 2 last pictures are from back - just black, but then 2 decorations in gold. A bird and makers mark. Any ideas?
Inside also black.
The word Shakudo should be added to "Illustrated silver glossery"
davidross
contributor

Re: shakudo - japan

Post by davidross »

The cigarette case is one of the most common designs, factory-produced and marked only with a retailer’s logo, not an artist’s signature. Souvenirs like this catered to the tastes of the tourist trade in the second or (more probably) third quarter of the 20th century.

This is a typical example of damascene work (J: zougan, 象嵌 also 象眼) on a base material that is most likely oxidized iron, not the highly-prized shakudo (赤銅), an alloy of copper (90-96%) and gold (4-10%) patinated to a profound indigo-black. For marketing purposes, any piece of zougan with a black background may familiarly be called “shakudo” (for the colour it hopes to achieve), and most consumers understand that the term is being used figuratively and not literally.

I leave it to others to decide whether any of these peripheral terms warrant inclusion in a silver glossary.

Regards
DR
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

A very simple test with a magnet will be enough to discover whether it is oxidized iron or a different alloy.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Thanks for the reply.
I knew it was not that old.
The trick with the magnet worked. It got stuck at the metal.
First a pleasant surprice - today return to reality ;-(

Thanks again to both of you.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Hi Hose_dk,

Do not despair! Personally, I think pieces like this will only be appreciated more in the future when understood in the proper context.

Although the design on the cigarette case is common and (frankly) rather old-fashioned, it was finished by hand by a skilled craftsman. I do not see much new damascene work being produced in Japan in the last 25 years, as it is becoming too expensive to produce. The fine workmanship on the cigarette case is a bittersweet reminder of just how poor Japan was a few generations ago, when labour was cheap and raw materials (like the gold needed for shakudo) expensive. In Japan today, it is almost the opposite---the labour is expensive and the materials rather affordable.

Even a somewhat humble cigarette case has a tale to tell and a place in history.

Cheers
DR
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Thanks I will. When I bought I knew nothing. Never heard of shakudo, and neither had seller. So price was nothing.
And you are right history is good, craftmanship exelent. A good supplment to my ones in silver.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Had another one. Now I know that its not shakudo but still a most pleasent piece. Still political incorrect buy nice Work.
signed on inside - what name does it say?
2 birds on the back. Not much decoration but tastefull.
I learned that its because decoration is in gold. Can anyone identify maker and age?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It`s Kanji - Tokyo.
Regards
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

thanks - that look exect match. I guess that means no maker - so its anonymous.
The script inside cannot be maker - more likely owner.
Its fun - I have no idea, no knowledge. So all information bring me further. Thanks.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, but there is K24, too. That can be the maker. Nicely made and not being silver does not mean Japan could not afford it; silver was scarce in Japan in the past but not in 20th century. Their masters simply appreciated every metal to work with if it served their aesthetic.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

OK - the K24 is also on the top item. I have been told that the K24 referred to the fact that the decoration was made of partly gold.
I agree that the combination of gold, silver, copper etc in these mixed metal objects are fantastic. I also have two of these objects. http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... pan#p79292
both have same decoration inside and outside.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Right, K24 pure,i.e. 24 karat gold.There is some confusion with ``carat`` and ``karat`` , the first being a unit of weight for diamonds and other gemstones,the latter being used with gold,a unit of purity, so it`s 24-karat gold - pure gold.
Excellent work!
Kindest regards
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Thanks
And also - English is not my first language, so sometimes I spell like :-(
The 24 referring to the gold. Its only so small amounds, the decor - some of it is as thin as a hair. Cannot be much gold, but its a good effect. Shame that a cigaretcase today is useless. In my country so political uncorrect.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Belatedly, the character ("kyo") forms half of the name of both Tokyo and Kyoto. In Japan, when this character is used by itself it always refers to Kyoto (capitol for over 1,000 years) and not to Tokyo. For the majority of its history, Tokyo was called Edo and was only renamed Tokyo in 1868 when it officially became the new capitol city.

There were numerous damascene makers, the only way to really pin this one down is to find a similar piece in its original box and with original papers or to find original advertising in trade journals, Western-language guidebooks or the like.

I believe the signature in gold on the inside lid is that of the original purchaser / owner of the piece, who instead of having the piece engraved with a monogram (which would have destroyed the damascene), instead personalized it by having his signature applied in gold. It look a Western-style signature and not like anything in Japanese.

Regards

DR
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Thanks that is interesting. I learn so much new.

I asked a Chinese - she is not familiar with silver at all. I asked her whats the difference between a Chinese dragon and a Japanese dragon. She could not pinpoint the difference. However she said the sign is Beijing - I understood why she said so, but I now that its not correct. However the sign for Beijing is very like.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Hi Hose

My pleasure.

Yes, to a Chinese, this same character 京 would indicate the longtime and current capitol city of China, Beijing 北京 (literally, "Northern Capital"). Of course, Nanjing is written 南京 "Southern Capital."

You may want to read this thread that discusses Chinese versus Japanese depictions of dragons:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=28763

Cheers
DR
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Hi Again. Thats interesting. The long relationship between the contries is fascinating. The claws - and the small differences.
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

I am pleased to see this interest in Japanese damascene work. I have collected items with this form of decoration for several years now and my interest is from the point of a metalsmith who wishes to understand this technique and use it in his work. As I learn to post images and learn more about process and identification I will post. I hope this thread continues and grows.
Fred
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Fred,

Welcome to the Forum.

We look forward to your participation with forum and to reading your future posts.

Trev.
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Thanks Trev,

I will do what I can. I appreciate forums like this and understand the effort it takes to maintain them.

Best,
Fred

Return to “Far East”