SD in Triangle - Artisan Necklace with Amber Grapes Pendant

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
volpone
contributor

SD in Triangle - Artisan Necklace with Amber Grapes Pendant

Post by volpone »

This one has me a bit stumped, and not optimistic that I will ever figure out who made it, but it is a very high-quality, older artisan necklace with a hand-forged, 24" chain, and very detailed 1 1/2" pendant depicting a basket with amber grapes. The clasp is attached to a small plaque that is marked "SD" in a triangle along with "925" and "sterling." I am assuming it to be an American piece from around the 1930s. Any ideas? Thanks!

cap

Re: SD in Triangle - Artisan Necklace with Amber Grapes Pend

Post by cap »

Does anyone know this maker? I have a piece of jewelry with a similar mark.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Personally, am doubtful that this is an American piece or particularly old - looks very much like fairly recent Baltic amber pieces, from Poland, if I recall correctly...

~Cheryl
cap

Post by cap »

You might be right about it being European, but I disagree that it is a contemporary piece - my thoughts would be it is circa 1940. If anyone knows the mark it would certainly help date it.
volpone
contributor

Post by volpone »

I've not seen a European amber piece marked "sterling."
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Heh, my memory is definitely not what it used to be, but can remember seeing these baskets at wholesale a few years ago, thought they were quite charming, as were silver and amber violin jewelry pieces offered by the same vendors. Pretty short on time at the moment, but a quick internet search finds listings for near identical pendants (different chains) and a pair of earrings, no pictures of marks or provenance offered, though the earrings are described as 'new without tags...never worn'; and a new but out of stock pendant, shown on a large commercial site, is described as being 'from Eastern Europe'. Similar handmade link chains to the one shown can be found included with various brand new Baltic amber pendants - but perhaps these pieces were also made 70-80 years ago and this one as well as yours are older, hopefully someone will know the maker's mark and provide the proper dating and place of origin...

~Cheryl
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I have violated the rules and my post was removed (fully justified).In short, those baskets with amber grapes still emerge as ``vintage`` (too much coincidence)always with different chains and btw. marks only on chains.So, Cheryl is right about it.Their origin is obscure.It`s up to you to decide.

Return to “European Jewelry”