Pitcher With Strange unknown Markings. Testing Silver.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chrismittty

Pitcher With Strange unknown Markings. Testing Silver.

Post by chrismittty »

Can anyone help me id these markings? I dont even know where to post or begin?!
oel
co-admin

Re: Pitcher With Strange unknown Markings. Testing Silver.

Post by oel »

Hi,

Any chance of a bigger, legible picture of the marks?

Oel.
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

oel,I am sorry, let me try again with the photos...I am worried its not silver, was lead ever silver plated? Its is nearly that soft...
Francais

Post by Francais »

AS long as you are asking, I saw this earlier, but didn't want to say anything. I would bet the bank it is not silver. I thought you said in the title that it tested silver. It isn't, it is silver plate with the plate worn off.
I can't make out the marks, but they look like plate marks. Also the style is a plated style. You can easily be sure. Take a sharp knife, then find a place on the bottom with an edge. You will find out you can take a slice out of the edge, thus it is too soft to be silver.
Maurice
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

You are right Francais, its far too soft, Literally like lead soft. I ripped the handle right off trying to lightly tap the lid back into round, it is so very soft. I agree it is plated, but the testing methods I had available were easily obscured by plating and showed "silver" reactions...probably because of the plating contacting the acid with the underlying metal too. I have heard this causes false positives with some acids. Either way, in my neck of the woods its worth grabbing items marked like such, as we don't see them often so the odds are better than not.
I appreciate the input, and Hope i can get better pics of the marks so they can be of use to some one, some time.

Return to “Other Countries”