Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
JOHN J. SURBECK
Bayou Road, New Orleans
John J. Surbeck, for 20 years with Coleman E. Adler, has embarked in business on his own account, having fitted out a handsome establishment on Bayou Road. Mr. Surbeck is an expert jeweler.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 10th October 1923
Trev.
Bayou Road, New Orleans
John J. Surbeck, for 20 years with Coleman E. Adler, has embarked in business on his own account, having fitted out a handsome establishment on Bayou Road. Mr. Surbeck is an expert jeweler.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 10th October 1923
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
S.L. WALDHORN
343, Royal Street, New Orleans
S. L. Waldhorn, jeweler and dealer in curios, 343 Royal St., is exhibiting a quaint pocket sundial and compass 225 years old. This curious relic is made of brass and was manufactured in France, and by turning a device so as to get the latitude, one can easily tell the exact time, day or night, in 20 different cities in that republic. Mr. Waldhorn states one can also find the correct time in this country by this device by fixing the latitude as well as the points of the compass. This pocket sundial and compass was purchased from an old French family residing in New Orleans. It is said to be in perfect condition.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
S. L. Waldhorn, 343 Royal St., is showing two very heavy gold medals of large dimensions possessing much historical interest. Both of the trophies were awarded by the “Republican Blues,” a crack military organization of New Orleans for superior marksmanship in 1810 and 1812. On the face of the oldest medal is engraved the patriotic words: “Where liberty dwells there is my country.” The 1812 medal bears this inspiring, although braggadocio, inscription: “To the heart of the foe.” The wearer of this medal had a chance to get at “the heart of the foe,” as the Battle of New Orleans was fought (the deciding engagement) on Jan. 8, 1812, and the medal was presented Jan. 1, 1812.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
What are thought to be some of the oldest gold relics in this country are being exhibited in the jewelry window of The Waldhorn Co., 343 Royal St. They are thought to be at least 3000 years old and are alleged to have come from tombs in Peru and are known as Inca relics. These almost pre-historic souvenirs consist of beetles, lizards, small idols or images connected with a kind of a pearl in the shape of a large necklace, and are said to be solid gold. This store makes a specialty of antique gold and silverware, and is the largest house of its kind in the south and probably in the United States.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 21st February 1917
Trev.
343, Royal Street, New Orleans
S. L. Waldhorn, jeweler and dealer in curios, 343 Royal St., is exhibiting a quaint pocket sundial and compass 225 years old. This curious relic is made of brass and was manufactured in France, and by turning a device so as to get the latitude, one can easily tell the exact time, day or night, in 20 different cities in that republic. Mr. Waldhorn states one can also find the correct time in this country by this device by fixing the latitude as well as the points of the compass. This pocket sundial and compass was purchased from an old French family residing in New Orleans. It is said to be in perfect condition.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
S. L. Waldhorn, 343 Royal St., is showing two very heavy gold medals of large dimensions possessing much historical interest. Both of the trophies were awarded by the “Republican Blues,” a crack military organization of New Orleans for superior marksmanship in 1810 and 1812. On the face of the oldest medal is engraved the patriotic words: “Where liberty dwells there is my country.” The 1812 medal bears this inspiring, although braggadocio, inscription: “To the heart of the foe.” The wearer of this medal had a chance to get at “the heart of the foe,” as the Battle of New Orleans was fought (the deciding engagement) on Jan. 8, 1812, and the medal was presented Jan. 1, 1812.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
What are thought to be some of the oldest gold relics in this country are being exhibited in the jewelry window of The Waldhorn Co., 343 Royal St. They are thought to be at least 3000 years old and are alleged to have come from tombs in Peru and are known as Inca relics. These almost pre-historic souvenirs consist of beetles, lizards, small idols or images connected with a kind of a pearl in the shape of a large necklace, and are said to be solid gold. This store makes a specialty of antique gold and silverware, and is the largest house of its kind in the south and probably in the United States.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 21st February 1917
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
W. CRAGO
1619, Dryades Street, New Orleans
A small fire last week damaged considerably the building occupied by W. Crago, jeweler, 1619 Dryades St., but little loss was experienced by Mr. Crago, as he saved his stock and was covered by insurance. The structure occupied by George Foerster, a retail jeweler, was slightly damaged by water, but no loss was experienced by Mr. Foerster.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
Trev.
1619, Dryades Street, New Orleans
A small fire last week damaged considerably the building occupied by W. Crago, jeweler, 1619 Dryades St., but little loss was experienced by Mr. Crago, as he saved his stock and was covered by insurance. The structure occupied by George Foerster, a retail jeweler, was slightly damaged by water, but no loss was experienced by Mr. Foerster.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th December 1916
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
D. A. WALTERS
Bourbon Street, later, Baronne Street, New Orleans
D.A. Walters, formerly located in Bourbon St., near Canal St., is now in business at Baronne St., neat Gravier St.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 2nd February 1916
Trev.
Bourbon Street, later, Baronne Street, New Orleans
D.A. Walters, formerly located in Bourbon St., near Canal St., is now in business at Baronne St., neat Gravier St.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 2nd February 1916
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
HEREFORD-TURCAN Inc.
218, Baronne Street, New Orleans
Three well known members of the Young Men’s Business Club featured in the recent formation of a new jewelry firm in this city. They are H. B. Turcan, Joe Richard and Ralph S. Hereford. The new firm will be known as Hereford-Turcan, Inc., and will continue to operate the same business heretofore known as Richard & Hereford, Inc., 218 Baronne St. Mr. Richard’s interests having been purchased by H. B. Turcan. Mr. Turcan is a past president of the Young Men’s Business Club. For 13 years he was identified with the Canal Bank & Trust Co., as assistant cashier. Immediately on severing his connection with that institution, he became identified with Young & Harris, Inc., realtors, and for the past year has been engaged in that business. Mr. Turcan has not severed his relationship with Young & Harris, but he will be actively engaged in his duties as a member of the firm of Hereford-Turcan, Inc.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 13th April 1927
Trev.
218, Baronne Street, New Orleans
Three well known members of the Young Men’s Business Club featured in the recent formation of a new jewelry firm in this city. They are H. B. Turcan, Joe Richard and Ralph S. Hereford. The new firm will be known as Hereford-Turcan, Inc., and will continue to operate the same business heretofore known as Richard & Hereford, Inc., 218 Baronne St. Mr. Richard’s interests having been purchased by H. B. Turcan. Mr. Turcan is a past president of the Young Men’s Business Club. For 13 years he was identified with the Canal Bank & Trust Co., as assistant cashier. Immediately on severing his connection with that institution, he became identified with Young & Harris, Inc., realtors, and for the past year has been engaged in that business. Mr. Turcan has not severed his relationship with Young & Harris, but he will be actively engaged in his duties as a member of the firm of Hereford-Turcan, Inc.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 13th April 1927
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
J.J. MUGNIER
204, Camp Street, New Orleans
J. J. Mugnier, for the past thirty-seven years employed as watchmaker with the late H. P. Buckley, of New Orleans, La., and who has been a resident of New Orleans for over half a century, will continue to do repairing at his new address, 204 Camp Street, Room 409. He extends a cordial invitation to the visiting trade to call on him in his new quarters.
Source: The Keystone - October 1903
Trev.
204, Camp Street, New Orleans
J. J. Mugnier, for the past thirty-seven years employed as watchmaker with the late H. P. Buckley, of New Orleans, La., and who has been a resident of New Orleans for over half a century, will continue to do repairing at his new address, 204 Camp Street, Room 409. He extends a cordial invitation to the visiting trade to call on him in his new quarters.
Source: The Keystone - October 1903
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
The Jewelers’ Fraternity, of New Orleans, La., signalized its third installation of officers by a breakfast at the City Restaurant on Monday, May 15th. This interesting and enjoyable event was presided over by President Granzin, who, in a appropriate speech, dwelt on the aims of the Fraternity and the achievements of its three years’ of existence, especially its influence in bringing the members of the trade into more intimate social, and business relations.Leonard Krower, the well-known New Orleans jobber, sent a telegram wishing success to the fraternity, and T. Hausman & Sons sent a check for the sick members’ fund, both communications were acknowledged by a standing vote of thanks. The most graceful feature of the meeting was the presentation to President Granzin of a loving cup, This unique gift is in the form of a crucible, six inches high. The presentation address was made by Judge Skinner. The cup was filled with wine, and used by the members to pledge the health of the organization. In addition to President Granzin, these officers were elected: Thomas F. Hall, vice-president; Daniel Ramelli, recording secretary; Alphonse Mandot, financial secretary.
Source: The Keystone - June 1905
Trev.
Source: The Keystone - June 1905
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
JOHN LUHRING
New Orleans
John Luhring has just completed making a handsome set of Masonic jewels to be presented to the head of a local lodge. The jewel consists of two gold bars and suspended beneath the well known “G” and beneath that the sun with a place for a stone setting. Below the sun are the dividers, square and rule.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 11th December 1918
Trev.
New Orleans
John Luhring has just completed making a handsome set of Masonic jewels to be presented to the head of a local lodge. The jewel consists of two gold bars and suspended beneath the well known “G” and beneath that the sun with a place for a stone setting. Below the sun are the dividers, square and rule.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 11th December 1918
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
VAGLIENTE & Co.
New Orleans
Laurence Dumestre, of Vagliente & Co., is quite ill with pneumonia.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th November 1923
Trev.
New Orleans
Laurence Dumestre, of Vagliente & Co., is quite ill with pneumonia.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th November 1923
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
HENRY VAHLMANN
614, South Rampart Street, New Orleans
Death of Henry Vahlmann
New Orleans, La., Feb. 1. — The death, Wednesday last, of Henry Vahlmann, a jeweler at 614 S. Rampart St., removed a well known German citizen of the city, and one who had been in the trade here for nearly a half century.
The deceased was born in Ankum, Hanover, Germany, Nov. 17, 1840, and came to this city when 19 years old. He immediately started in the jewelry business, and for the past 35 years had been located at the Rampart St. store, which he occupied until his death. In November, 1868, Mr. Vahlmann married Miss Eva Kramer, and she, with one daughter and two sons, survive him. The deceased was prominent in the Eagle Lodge Knights of Pythias.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 8th February 1905
Trev.
614, South Rampart Street, New Orleans
Death of Henry Vahlmann
New Orleans, La., Feb. 1. — The death, Wednesday last, of Henry Vahlmann, a jeweler at 614 S. Rampart St., removed a well known German citizen of the city, and one who had been in the trade here for nearly a half century.
The deceased was born in Ankum, Hanover, Germany, Nov. 17, 1840, and came to this city when 19 years old. He immediately started in the jewelry business, and for the past 35 years had been located at the Rampart St. store, which he occupied until his death. In November, 1868, Mr. Vahlmann married Miss Eva Kramer, and she, with one daughter and two sons, survive him. The deceased was prominent in the Eagle Lodge Knights of Pythias.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 8th February 1905
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
E.J. SARPY
635, Canal Street and 300, Royal Street, New Orleans
E. J. Sarpy, formerly in business at 635 Canal St., and on Royal St., is now establishing a clothing and jewelry business at 300 Royal St., in the place formerly occupied by G. Michaelis & Co.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd April 1918
Trev.
635, Canal Street and 300, Royal Street, New Orleans
E. J. Sarpy, formerly in business at 635 Canal St., and on Royal St., is now establishing a clothing and jewelry business at 300 Royal St., in the place formerly occupied by G. Michaelis & Co.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd April 1918
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
ARTHUR G. SCHULTZ
Macheca Building, 828, Canal Street, New Orleans
Arthur G. Schultz, engraver in the Macheca building, recently received an order to manufacture and engrave 10 Past Time Priests’ jewels for the local Chapter of Masons.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd April 1918
Trev.
Macheca Building, 828, Canal Street, New Orleans
Arthur G. Schultz, engraver in the Macheca building, recently received an order to manufacture and engrave 10 Past Time Priests’ jewels for the local Chapter of Masons.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd April 1918
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
MARKO LUKINVICH
Tulane Avenue, New Orleans
Marko Lukinvich, who for several years conducted a jewelry store out on Tulane Ave. in this city, has decided to open a modern store in Jennings, La.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th March 1917
Trev.
Tulane Avenue, New Orleans
Marko Lukinvich, who for several years conducted a jewelry store out on Tulane Ave. in this city, has decided to open a modern store in Jennings, La.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th March 1917
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
W.D. CLEARY & Co.
740, Union Street, New Orleans
A new jewelry supply house has opened for business in New Orleans under what the projectors regard as most favorable auspices. W. D. Cleary & Co. is the corporate name of the new concern and its domicile, 740 Union St., the center of the business district. The officers of the company are, W. D. Cleary, president; R. Hinote, vice-president; J. F. Bell, secretary and treasurer. Wholesalers, the company expects to do a large business in the extensive territory tributary to this city, being supplied with a complete line of watch materials, jewelry, tools, tags, cards, boxes, etc. W. D. Cleary has for several years been connected, as traveling salesman, with the house of W. E. Taylor Co., Inc.; J. F. Bell, accompanied by Mr. Cleary, will leave in a few days on a business through the territory in which they expect to operate.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 25th January 1922
Trev.
740, Union Street, New Orleans
A new jewelry supply house has opened for business in New Orleans under what the projectors regard as most favorable auspices. W. D. Cleary & Co. is the corporate name of the new concern and its domicile, 740 Union St., the center of the business district. The officers of the company are, W. D. Cleary, president; R. Hinote, vice-president; J. F. Bell, secretary and treasurer. Wholesalers, the company expects to do a large business in the extensive territory tributary to this city, being supplied with a complete line of watch materials, jewelry, tools, tags, cards, boxes, etc. W. D. Cleary has for several years been connected, as traveling salesman, with the house of W. E. Taylor Co., Inc.; J. F. Bell, accompanied by Mr. Cleary, will leave in a few days on a business through the territory in which they expect to operate.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 25th January 1922
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
RIEHL & RAUXET
Baltimore
The new firm of Riehl & Rauxet, on Baronne near Canal St., has a fine display of Christmas jewelry and novelties. This is a successor to the Loewengardt & Armstrong Co., Ltd.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th December 1910
Trev.
Baltimore
The new firm of Riehl & Rauxet, on Baronne near Canal St., has a fine display of Christmas jewelry and novelties. This is a successor to the Loewengardt & Armstrong Co., Ltd.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th December 1910
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
THE ROYAL JEWELRY Co.
New Orleans
The Royal Jewelry Co. is a new concern in New Orleans, La., located at Canal and Barrone Sts.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th December 1910
Trev.
New Orleans
The Royal Jewelry Co. is a new concern in New Orleans, La., located at Canal and Barrone Sts.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 7th December 1910
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
LOUIS PAILET
New Orleans
Louis Pailet, New Orleans, La., reported to the Jewelers Security Alliance a window at his store was smashed with a loss of about $95.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd September 1924
Trev.
New Orleans
Louis Pailet, New Orleans, La., reported to the Jewelers Security Alliance a window at his store was smashed with a loss of about $95.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 3rd September 1924
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
MRS. M. HEYL
New Orleans
Mrs. M. Heyl has enlarged her silver and gold plating workshop, and will discontinue handling gold goods in her retail store.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 29th January 1913
Trev.
New Orleans
Mrs. M. Heyl has enlarged her silver and gold plating workshop, and will discontinue handling gold goods in her retail store.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 29th January 1913
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
NATHAN STIFFT
New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS
Nathan Stifft, well known in the jewelry trade, who died in December, was a native of Louisiana, having been born in this city 44 years ago. Mr. Stifft was a brother of Charles S. Stifft, Little Rock, Ark., and was the latter’s right hand man in business; he had a wide acquaintance with the traveling jewelry salesmen, among whom he was well liked. Deceased was highly esteemed in social and business circles, his funeral being one of the largest attended of any held in Little Rock for years. He is survived by a widow and two young daughters.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 1st February 1911
Trev.
New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS
Nathan Stifft, well known in the jewelry trade, who died in December, was a native of Louisiana, having been born in this city 44 years ago. Mr. Stifft was a brother of Charles S. Stifft, Little Rock, Ark., and was the latter’s right hand man in business; he had a wide acquaintance with the traveling jewelry salesmen, among whom he was well liked. Deceased was highly esteemed in social and business circles, his funeral being one of the largest attended of any held in Little Rock for years. He is survived by a widow and two young daughters.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 1st February 1911
Trev.
Re: Some Old Jewellers of New Orleans
LOUIS C. CRESSON
530, Bourbon Street, New Orleans
Louis C. Cresson, a jeweler, 530 Bourbon St., was much incommoded for several weeks and in some danger from the ruins of the French Opera House burned Dec. 4. Mr. Cresson has his store directly opposite and the authorities had barricaded the street and routed the street cars over another route because of the danger of falling walls.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 14th January 1920
Trev.
530, Bourbon Street, New Orleans
Louis C. Cresson, a jeweler, 530 Bourbon St., was much incommoded for several weeks and in some danger from the ruins of the French Opera House burned Dec. 4. Mr. Cresson has his store directly opposite and the authorities had barricaded the street and routed the street cars over another route because of the danger of falling walls.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 14th January 1920
Trev.