Help with maker on arts & crafts grooming set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ktiggeloven

Help with maker on arts & crafts grooming set

Post by ktiggeloven »

Hi everybody.

I recently purchased a three piece grooming set from Londen 1908, which has quite an arts & crafts feel to it. I however have not been able to find the maker. It reads S.L.R. Any help with that is very welcome.
kind regards,

Kasper

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with maker on arts & crafts grooming set

Post by dognose »

Hi Kasper,

That's Sarah Louisa Rimmington, of 115, Ebury Street, London.

Trev.
ktiggeloven

Post by ktiggeloven »

Thanks very much for your reply Trev. Was she known for making this type of arts & crafts work?
kind regards,

Kasper
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Kasper,

She was known as Louie Rimmington, and described as an Art Metal Worker. She was formerly in partnership with Florence Maud Rimmington (sister?), but working on her own as from about 1905.

There is confusion with most period reports of their work as we see 'by Miss Rimmington' and one does not know which of the Rimmington's they are talking about.

Example:

The bookbinding classes at the Camden School are directed by Mr. Fisher and Mr. Corcoran; the silversmiths' work and general metalwork classes by Mr. W. Stoye; and those for jewellery and enamelling by Miss Rimmington.

Source: Arts & Crafts - 1915

This one is definitely Louie:

John Cass Arts and Crafts Society, held in Sloane Street. The society is composed of the students and staff of the well-known City school of applied art, where the instruction is upon the most practical and professional lines, and the average standard of the work at the exhibition was commendably high. Mr. Harold Stabler set his pupils a good example by contributing some enamelled candlesticks and a silver jug and bowl of excellent workmanship; Mr. Gilbert Bayes and Mr. R. Wells showed modelled work of good quality; and Mr. C. E. Kruger a capital study in pencil and several water-colours. The jewellery included a dainty gold necklace by Miss Martineau ; some interesting work in silver by Miss Drummond; and necklaces and pendants by Mr. C. M. Kirkman. The contributors to the exhibition also included Miss Brooke Clarke, Miss Bousfield, Mr. Eichberger, Miss Kinkead, Miss Shipwright, Miss L. Rimmington, Miss V. Ramsay, Mrs. Stabler, Mr. E. P. Agnew, Mr. C. E. M. Bousfield, and Mr. H. J. Manwering.

Source: The International Studio - 1911

Whereas this one is Florence:

RIMMINGTON, Miss Florence M., 67 Perham Road, West Kensington, London.
Miss Rimmington is a designer of metalwork and jewelry, and a worker in gold, silver, enamel and precious stones. She has exhibited at the Royal Academy and other London and provincial exhibitions. Her design for a triptych, reproduced in colour on page 151,is to be executed in bronze, with vine decoration in steel and the coloured panels in mosaic.

Source: The Studio Year-book of Decorative Art - 1909

So, if you find a reference to "Miss Rimmington", be careful, it may be the wrong one!

Trev.
ktiggeloven

Post by ktiggeloven »

Thanks again Trev.
I'll have a look through my studio year books I have whether I can find more reference on her.
kind regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Kasper,

Please let us know of any further information that you uncover.

Trev.
ktiggeloven

Post by ktiggeloven »

I will do if I can find any.

Return to “London Hallmarks”