Exporter and Importer

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Exporter and Importer

Post by paulh »

Here is a strange thing which I came across recently. This is a "Glug Glug" decanter. So called because of the glugging sound it makes when being filled or emptied. It has nice set of Hukin & Heath marks for Birmingham 1928. It also has a set of Dublin import marks, also for Hukin & Heath 1928.

This suggests that H&H were both exporters and importers of this decanter. A situation which would not have occurred a few years earlier, before Irish independence, when English silver would not have been considered as “foreign”. I cannot find any record of Hukin & Heath registering a mark in Dublin, but that might just be because I do not have the right references.

I would be interested in comments and to know if anyone else has come across this situation.

PaulH

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Exporter and Importer

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

I think several English firms were registered with the Dublin Assay Office, both before and after independence. I've noted similar marking to yours, albeit with one maker's mark only, from James Dixon & Sons in 1949 and Adie Bros. in 1954:

The above example that indicates the Dublin date letter for 1955 may be accountable by the Dublin date letters at this time being changed on the 1st January.

Trev.

Return to “Irish Hallmarks”