Arts & Crafts bowl. Unknown country and maker.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Arts & Crafts bowl. Unknown country and maker.

Post by SilverK »

I have this c20th silver Arts & Crafts covered sugar bowl which has completely stumped me, to the point where I'm not even sure which continent it's from! I don't believe it is Australian, Indian or Chinese (though of course I could easily be wrong), so then the most likely place is probably Europe, hence this posting in European 'Other Countries'. It has just two marks: 'S.S' in a rectangular stamp and what could be an 'A', or even a rocking horse (!) in an hexagonal stamp (though strangely, the latter appears to be a little different in the two examples I've given you). It is definitely silver, not plate.

The finials appear to be: A rabbit on the cover; A dolphin on the bowl handles; A bird with a long tail on the the spoon.

Any help would be most appreciated both in terms of country and maker, if at all possible.

Many thanks!

Silverk.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Arts & Crafts bowl. Unknown country and maker.

Post by Aguest »

::::: Is it not "Stokes & Sons" of Australia? ::::: There are so many Stokes & Sons hallmarks, a few are similar to your marks, but not similar enough to make an attribution, unless someone knows their work and has seen this hallmark before, or can identify the style of the work for a tentative attribution to "Stokes & Sons" of Australia? ::::::

::::: I was kind of thinking Australia first, for some reason? :::::::

Return to “Other Countries”