Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
Watches for the Bush
We have received from Messrs, William Easy and Co,,jewellers and silversmiths, etc., 390, George Street, a neatly printed and handy little pocket calendar for 1900. It is handy for reference, and at the same time brings the firm's wares prominently under notice. One of the most popular lines placed on the market by this firm just at present is a reliable bush watch, sold at 25s.
Source: The Sydney Wool and Stock Journal - 12th January 1900
Melbourne - Wednesday
A fire of considerable dimensions broke out tonight in a five storied block, known as the Citizen's Buildings, Queen Street, in a portion occupied by Messrs. A Macrow and Sons, manufacturing jewellers. The block of buildings is divided into three portions, almost entirely separate from one another, and though the flames spread into the top floors of the central block (occupied by Messrs. Fitchett Brothers), the damage done by fire was practically contained to the southern block, in which the two top floors and roof were burned out. The whole of the block in which the fire had raged is occupied by Messrs. Macrow and Sons. Mr. Macrow stated tonight that his jewellery manufactory was on the third floor, which with the fourth floor was burned out, and that on the top floor a great deal of his stock was stored. He could not, however, estimate his damage. He is protected by an insurance policy for £1500 in the Imperial office.
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 28th April 1904
A. Macrow and Son were previously located at 346, Flinders Street, Melbourne during the period 1892-1894.
A very handsome silver snuff-box has been manufactured by Mr. Broad, the Silversmith for the Lodges of 820, 260, and 266, for the purpose of presentation this day to Colonel Despard, of the 17th Regiment, for his highly gentlemanly conduct in always permitting the attendance of the fine band of his regiment when required, for Masonic Procession, Dinners, etc. A deputation, consisting of some of the Members of each Lodge, will wait on the Colonel and present the box.
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 17th December 1835
The snuff box in question was unlikely to have been made by Robert Broad, who was probably the retailer only of the piece, he is thought to have ordered the box from the workshops of David Barclay at Hobart, the actual maker being the convict silversmith, Joseph Forrester, the box, a well-known piece, being typical of his work.
Robert Broad is thought to have arrived in Sydney in 1831. He ran into financial problems in the 1840's and his estate was liquidated in 1844 and his effects put up for public auction.
William Sandover & Co., Perth, West Australia, recently issued to their patrons, present and prospective, an attractively illustrated pamphlet on presents and souvenirs. It was virtually a catalogue of the concern's silver plate, leather and other fancy goods. The first illustration is that of the silver plate department, seen as one enters their store. We reproduce it herewith. That a good variety is carried can be seen at a glance. Following this illustration are many articles of silver plate, tea and coffee pots, dishes, cut glass table accessories, silver knives, forks and spoons, silver back hair brushes, etc. There are also several pages devoted to fancy goods, art china, leather goods, etc.
Argus Building, 375, Elizabeth Street, and Latham House, 236, Swanston Street, Melbourne, and 381 Chapel Street, South Yarra
H. Whitfield - Melbourne - 1927
"Mr. H. Whitfield, practical watchmaker and jeweller, has opened a business in Alexandra, next to Williams' store, Grant street. Mr. Whitfield is a thoroughly practical man, and has only been a few weeks out from England, where he has had a large and varied experience in all branches of the trade. We are fortunate in securing the services of a tradesman of Mr. Whitfield's calibre, and his advent amongst us will supply a long felt want."
Source: Alexandra and Yea Standard and Yarck, Gobur, Thornton and Acheron Express - 14th October 1910
W. PRATT.
Mr. W. Pratt, who is the proprietor of the oldest Jewellery establishment in Ipswich, has a very heavy stock of all the latest makes and designs in watches, brooches, and rings, and practically everything worth having in the way of novelties. He has a fine display of engagement rings, very pretty brooches, brushes, bangles, wristlet watches, and other choice articles of a similar nature. There are also jewel boxes, pin-boxes, manicure sets In great assortment for the ladies; whilst for gentlemen there are gold and silver links, gold and silver chains, and a big stock of everything else in the jewellery line that they are likely to require. These articles, we are assured, cannot be surpassed in the state, both as regards quality and price, Mr. Pratt's 26 years' experience in the Jewellery business, combined with the advantage of being a practical watchmaker and Jeweller, should make him a good judge of the quality, finish, and general merit of the articles with which his establishment has been so amply stocked in readiness for the approaching festive season. Mr. Pratt has on view In one of his windows a really fine display of precious stones, which are attracting a good deal of notice from visitors and others.
Whilst still working in England, Capner was noted as the designer of the Prince Alfred Memorial Medal. After removing to Australia he worked with several of the leading silversmiths of the day, including Flavelle & Roberts and Stokes and Son. Capner was also noted as the designer of the Queensland colonial seal.
Mogens Frederik Kehlet, alias 'Fritz' Kehlet', was born in 1817 at Copenhagen, he was one of the earliest Danish settlers in Queensland, arriving in 1854 after sailing from Hamburg in November 1853. He was later noted as the proprietor of the Royal Hotel in Maryborough and the Valhalla Boarding House at Hervey's Bay.
MARRIAGE
SCULLY-KEHLET.-On the 1st June, at Dingo, Central Railway, by the Rev. T. Nock, John M. Scully, of Rockhampton, to Dagmar, only child of the late Fritz Kehlet, formerly of Gayndah and Maryborough.